Refreshing, slightly sweet, with the delicious aroma of coconut–I just love coconut water! And I am not the only one.
In the United States alone, sales of coconut water reached over half a billion dollars in 2016 and is expected to reach over a billion dollars in 2020. Gosh! What makes this delightful thirst-quencher so popular?
To begin with, people have caught on that coconut water is filled with healthful nutrition in every swallow. This elixir contains potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, copper and sodium, without the added sugar and chemicals of popular sports drinks. These powerful minerals give coconut water its excellent health benefits. Nothing replenishes electrolytes faster in the human body than coconut water, and it has fewer calories and less sodium that most sports drinks.
Coconut water is the clear liquid contained inside baby coconuts. It is not water with coconut flavoring, nor is it coconut milk, which is made from coconut meat. The texture is light and you will taste a little sweetness, then the hint of acidity which makes coconut water so refreshing.
So, how much coconut water should you drink?
I drink a serving at least twice a day–even more when I work out. Plain, unflavored water contains about 45 calories per 8 ounce serving. If you want a flavored twist, choose organic flavored coconut water made with herbs and spices.
It is the perfect drink for me the mornings on an empty stomach. It wakes me up and gets me ready for the day. In the afternoon, if I start to feel tired and a little pooped out, I have some more. I always have chilled coconut water on hand for these times.
But there are other times when coconut water is beneficial and you will know the perfect time to drink your coconut water…
· Before and after physical exertion is the perfect time to drink it to instantly restore your energy.
· Before a meal, drinking coconut water will add to the feeling of fullness and assist in controlling your appetite.
· After a meal, this delightful health elixir will aid digestion and counter the effects of acid reflux.
· At bedtime, drinking coconut water will promote good sleep and assist in the elimination of toxins in the body.
· With its healthful restorative minerals, coconut water is an effective and delicious way to calm the effects of a hangover. 😉